Students interested in pursuing criminal justice careers in Idaho have 14 colleges and universities from which to choose as well as 13 undergraduate degrees and two graduate degrees.
Idaho Criminal Justice Program Scholarships
Because of the constant need for trained law enforcement specialists, many organizations offer criminal justice or law enforcement scholarships to help assist and encourage students with their studies. The Idaho State Police Association offers a scholarship to students who are dependents of the ISPA. The Department of Sociology at Idaho State University also offers a few different scholarships to criminal justice students. Criminal justice students willing to complete Peace Corps training may also be eligible for a scholarship through the Peace Corps.
Criminal Justice Career & Employment Trending
Criminal justice graduates working in Idaho may experience a wide range of employment opportunities depending on the career paths they choose. In addition, their occupation may offer good wages but little job growth. For instance, only a five percent employment growth is expected for first-line supervisors between 2012 and 2022, according to O*NET, but their average 2014 salary of $89,900 was above the national average for this occupation.
Below is a list of common careers chosen by criminal justice graduates as well the average wages for 2014; predicted employment growth; number of new jobs expected per year; and if the wages are higher or lower than the national average.
- Probation officers & correctional treatment specialists – $37,000 – 0% – 20 jobs – lower
- Detectives & criminal investigators – $88,700 – 7% -10 jobs – higher
- Criminal justice & law enforcement postsecondary teachers – $48,100 – 17% – 0 jobs – lower
- Judges, magistrate judges & magistrates $187200 – 4% – 0 jobs – higher
- Forensic science technicians – $53,500 – 5% 0 jobs – lower
- Police & sheriff’s patrol officers – $58,600- 6% 100 jobs – higher
- Private detectives & investigators $57,200 – N/A – higher
- Correctional officers & jailers –$48,400 -11% – 70 jobs – higher
- First-line supervisors of police & detectives $89,900 -5% 20 jobs – higher
All Schools with Criminal Justice Programs in Idaho
Featured online criminal justice programs accepting applicants from Idaho
Campus-based criminal justice schools in Idaho
Twin Falls, ID
Coeur d'Alene, ID