Mississippi students interested in careers in criminal justice and law enforcement can choose from 22 colleges and universities located throughout the state of Mississippi.
With the variety of junior colleges, community colleges and universities Mississippi has to offer, students have a nice selection of programs and areas of study from which to choose.
Mississippi Criminal Justice Scholarships
In addition to having various academic options, criminal justice students may also find financial help within the state of Mississippi. Grants or scholarships may be awarded to eligible students through the Mississippi State Troopers Association, Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers & Firemen Scholarship Program, and the Mississippi Association of Chiefs of Police.
Scholarship opportunities may also be offered at some of the colleges as well.
Criminal Justice Career & Employment Trending
According to O*NET, most of the criminal justice occupations in Mississippi are predicted to have good employment growth from 2012-2022.
Below is a chart of some popular criminal justice occupations as well as the average 2014 earnings, the predicted employment growth and the national average wage for each profession.
As you can see from the chart below, despite the positive growth predicted for these occupations, many of them are earning wages in Mississippi that are substantially lower than the national average.
A good example of this can be see with private detectives & investigators who are expected to see a twelve percent growth but are earning much less in Mississippi than what is earned nationwide for this profession.
- Criminal justice & law enforcement post-secondary teachers – $66,200 – 16% – $57,200
- Detectives & criminal investigators – $44,600 – 6% – $79,900
- Fire inspectors & investigators – $47,200 – 6% – $56,100
- Probation officers & correctional treatment specialists – $28,900 – 8% – $49,100
- Police & sheriff’s patrol officers – $32,400 – 10% – $56,800
- Forensic science technicians – $52,100 – NA -$55,400
- Correctional officers & jailers –$24,700 – 21% – $39,800
- Private detectives & investigators – $23,600 – 12% – $44,600
- First-line supervisors of police & detectives $49,100 – 9% -$80,900
- Judges, magistrate judges & magistrates – $37,700 – 7% – $115,100
All Schools with Criminal Justice Programs in Mississippi
Featured online criminal justice programs accepting applicants from Mississippi
Campus-based criminal justice schools in Mississippi
Alcorn State, MS
Itta Bena, MS
Multiple Campus Locations, ONLINE PROGRAMS